>> Systems Integration :: Pre-Configured VME
& Aircraft Tracking Systems
Air and Littoral Weather Radar Systems
Contact SKY Sales for availability of complete Radar System configurations
Systems can be used develop new radar processor systems or for
upgrading current Radar systems. Examples shown in this paper use ship
borne radar systems for example purposes only, the system can be used
for ground-based or airborne radar.
system example will provide a Moving Target Indicator (MTI) / Moving
Target Detector (MTD) processing capability, and will use existing COTS
RF receiver and processing systems hardware.
An optional upgrade will
incorporate weather radar processing and displays.
processor will be designed to integrate with the radar transmitter and
antenna systems, to provide a low cost solution in lieu of developing
or replacing a radar processing system.
The processor design, however, will also
be sized for compatibility with a radar transmitter and antenna system
in order to support modular radar systems.
Interfaces will be
software or firmware defined and the processing capability will be
sized to support (or provide a low-cost upgrade path for supporting)
advanced capabilities, such as staggered pulse repetition intervals,
pulse compression, and multi-frequency sub-pulsed waveforms.
Receiver Notional Architecture The
initial MTI/MTD processor consists of two major components; an analog
receiver and a digital processor.
The analog receiver
replaces the existing radar receivers and provides the downconversion
of the received S-band signal down to an intermediate frequency. The digital processor
consists of a timing/control unit, a digital downconverter and signal
processing cluster, and a video output unit.
The timing/control unit
controls the radar transmitter and receiver and generates the MTI
waveform timing. The
digital downconverter and signal processor generates inphase and
quadrature samples from the analog receiver IF and performs the MTI/MTD
video interface generates video output of the processed radar data in a
format compatible with the existing radar video distribution and
hardware platform is envisioned to use modern COTS components to the
greatest extent possible. The
processing capability is based around the SKY computers Thunderbolt VME
cards will be integrated with a programmable I/O controller card (also
VME form factor) as the timing/control unit.
Additionally, a commercial
analog receiver and digital receiver card will be used to downconvert
the radar returns and convert these returns to I/Q samples for
commercial video generation card provides the radar data output to the
radar display. A
block diagram of this notional architecture is shown below.
Notional Processor Upgrade
Note that the
Weather Processor ThunderBolt or Lightning card and interface to the
HWDDC Display Server are optional configuration items if desired. The HWDDC Display Server
is a separate computer unit. The radar processor will be utilizing a
VME COTS radar processor board in the chassis. The MTI/MTD functions
will be provided using SKY Thunderbolt processing boards in the same
chassis. MTI/MTD applications software will be loaded in flash on the
SKY boards, allowing for the boards to run the application in
self-hosted mode reducing the added costs of any VME system
Receiver and Processor tasks are listed below.
This listing is based on
the understanding of the desired radar system capabilities and may be
modified as more detailed information and the radar system developers
- Radar Systems Engineering
- Define the pertinent MTI/MTD waveform parameters
based on the desired range coverage, clutter cancellation, integration
into the current radar scan, etc.
- Define the algorithms for executing the MTI/MTD
processing on the SKY Thunderbolt processors
- Define the interfaces and timing and control needed
to integrate the upgraded processor with the existing transmitter and
antenna systems and ship motion information source
- Define the system requirements for the analog and
- Define the video output interface requirements
- Develop integrated system design and internal
- Hardware Configuration
- Develop the upgrade processor physical layout and
integration approach into the existing ship space
- Select an appropriate commercial analog receiver
- Select an appropriate commercial digital receiver
- Select an appropriate commercial programmable
timing and control unit
- Select an appropriate commercial video output unit
- Size and configure the SKY processor assembly
- Development and Unit Test
- Design, code, and unit test the MTI/MTD processing
- Design, code, and unit test the timing and control
- Design, configure, and unit test the digital
receiver firmware settings
- Configure and test the analog receiver
- Configure and test the video output unit
- Optional: Design, code, and unit test the weather
processing functions and interface to HWDDC display server
- System Integration and Test
- Integrate and test full processor system using lab
- Install and test full processor assembly with
land-based radar system
- Support installation and test